Thursday, February 23, 2017

60-Day Challenge: Part 1

I've talked about my fluctuating weight before, but I will spare you the "before kids" and talk about it strictly from the fall of 2013 when I weighed 30 pounds less than I do now. Slowly and steadily I gained weight, partly because Mads wasn't really nursing as often anymore, partly because I had started training longer distances and didn't fuel properly, re-fuel or do enough strength training to prevent muscle breakdown, partly because I ate crappy food and partly because I drank a lot of liquid calories. A-hem.

I'll discuss my thoughts on all of those things eventually, but for now I will focus on my goals.

I want to lose weight.

A week and a half ago I "weighed in" with a LTF trainer. He asked me my goals, how I wanted to accomplish them, which plan I wanted to do (weight-loss or body transformation) and then tried to get me to buy a crap ton of very expensive things like personal training, nutrition consults, supplements, metabolic testing, etc. No, no, no, and no thankyouplease. The program itself costs $35, and I had $25 in LT$ (LT Bucks - you can earn them and spend them at the club on various things, even races). So, it was a no-brainer to enter a program for $15 where I have a shot at winning up to $10,000. I was on the fence about which program to try, but decided on weight-loss.

So... the scale.

185.4 pounds.

I am a 5'9" woman and in the fall of 2013 I weighed 153 pounds. When I raced IM70.3 Raleigh in 2015 I weighed 163 pounds. When I raced IMNC in October 2016 I weighed 173 pounds.

This was getting out of hand. But, that is what happens if you eat a large order of french fries and a fish sandwich and then eat your kids' french fries because "they shouldn't eat fried food" and you drink a sweet tea and then that night you need to unwind so you drink a glass of wine and by glass I mean the glass bottle and then you make a serving of hash browns before you go to bed at 11PM.

Yeah. A person is likely to gain weight if they maintain that sort of lifestyle for any length of time. And for me - that was how I had been living since Mads stopped nursing completely in April 2015.

I've read so much about nutrition, participated in various nutrition programs, spent money on nutritionists and licensed dietitians. I feel like I finally understand what my body needs at this point. So - I have been planning my meals based on the training for the day, the training for the following day (if it is long endurance, because I have a half marathon next month and one in June). The plan doesn't give you specific meal advice, so I am just doing my own thing based on, well - everything I have learned. Most meals look something like this:

Breakfast: half of the plate is veg, then a protein, a fat and a carb (low-glycemic fruit/sprouted grain).

Snack: Green smoothie with vegan protein powder

Lunch: See breakfast description

Snack: Nuts/piece of Ezekiel bread/fruit or in emergency - a "good" protein bar

Dinner: See other meal descriptions

Other than the protein bar, nothing processed. Trying to avoid gluten, dairy and bleached flour because my body isn't a fan, I've come to learn.

I stop consuming calories after dinner. I am operating in a slight calorie deficiency right now, because I am trying to lose weight. The hardest part is actually eating enough calories - because half a plate of veggies is really only 25-50 calories at most. I didn't eat enough last Thursday and paid for it Friday - I felt like death. So I ate a 10-inch pizza and felt better. Then I ran 5.5 miles on a technical trail the next morning. I don't advocate that nutrition plan every day - but it worked last weekend and I felt fine. Brain fog and fatigue usually indicate you need to eat, so I've been trying to figure out the difference between "I am going to keel over if I don't eat in ten minutes" v. "I am just a little hungry and that's ok for now." And the trick - I think - is to anticipate that before it happens.

It's also important to remember that stress screws with my blood sugar levels. If I have a rough morning with the kids, I am going to *feel* hungrier. This is just me - you may not experience this at all, or not notice it - but I do. When I have moments like that, I go back to the *insert very famous weight-loss plan that a very famous talk show host endorsed and discussed her love of bread* plan and try to remember the "zero" foods. They're filling, they're nutritionally dense, they'll do the trick - and they are most likely not going to contribute to my caloric intake for the day.

The plan is a lot of strength training and I definitely try to stick to that. I love the barbell strength class at LTF. You can really get a good workout! I am trying to do that twice a week, and just do easier body resistance training the third day. The plan calls for five workouts a week, but I am doing M-W-F strength
Tu-Th cardio
Sat endurance
Sun recovery.

I am going to bed earlier. Sleep does a body good.

That's that! It was just time to get things back under control. I weighted 179.6 on Tuesday (the first "weigh-in"). I certainly don't think I will get back to 153 pounds in eight weeks - nor is that healthy - but I am taking control of my health. No more taking that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment